Thursday, October 16, 2014

Tips for Dealing with Anxiety and Depression


Life is hard. If you struggle with anxiety or depression disorders, you know how difficult it can be. It's like your brain is your biggest enemy. The scariest part is that you can't get away from it. You often feel like you’re caught in a rip tide you can’t get free from.

We've been hearing a lot about these issues lately-whether it be about Robin William's suicide, or Demi Lovato's openness about her struggles. This is a big issue right now.

Since I have started school, my anxiety issues have come up. It's kicked in because of being in a new place and new expectations. Yet, I am finding that I am better at handling my issues than before. A few years ago, I couldn't handle them as well.

It's not an easy thing to deal with day to day. Medication is one thing, but there are things that medication can't fix. Sometimes little changes along side it can have a very positive impact.

Do something you love

I know something that helps me is blasting music through my earphones. I am a music lover, and there is something so soothing and comforting about it. If this blog is any indication, I do a lot of writing. Find something that you can do that is therapeutic for you. And, yes, it is perfectly fine to have a hot fudge sundae sometimes. Or a chocolate chip cookie.

Get active

If my anxiety gets bad enough, sometimes I have just have to move. Going for a walk and getting outside can be very beneficial. Or, even turning on your music and dancing like a crazy person can help. It helps create good feelings and puts you in a better mood.

Have a strong support system.

Have people that you can go to when you're having problems. This is one of the most difficult ones for me, since most of my anxiety is socially based. However, I am getting better about opening up if I really need to. Having people you can trust is essential. Lean on your brothers and sisters in Christ. We are supposed to encourage and help one another (1 Thess. 5:11, 14). 

Change your thinking

If you think, "I'm so stupid" or, "I'm so ugly", stop and try to look at the facts. Why are you calling yourself 'stupid'? For me, I sometimes tell myself this because of my social issues and learning disability. I try to take a deep breath and think this: "Yes, I made a mistake. What can I learn from this to do better next time?" Then I try to move on from it the best I can-even though it's not very easy to do so at times.

If you think "I'm so ugly" (which I'm sure many of us do at times) ask yourself why you're saying this. What triggered it? Did someone say something? Is there something beyond your control (scoliosis, acne) nagging at you? Is it really true?

You are God’s masterpiece-curvy, skinny, tall, short, and whatever else-you were made by His bare hands. You were made in His image. (Gen. 1:26, Psalm 139:13-16) As a Christian, your beauty should be defined by God.

Pray!

This is probably the most important. I remember the words of Abraham Lincoln: "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."

Sometimes, you need a good cry and a prayer. Let it all out to the One who created you. Tell Him how you're feeling, even in you can't pinpoint why you are feeling that way. People may fail us or are unavailable, but God is there 24/7. Ask Him to give you wisdom and strength to get through your struggles.

Remember-Satan will try to use your illness to destroy you. (1 Peter 5:8)

If you are physically harming yourself, or contemplating suicide, please tell someone! There are better ways to cope than harming yourself. Trust me; there is always a better option. Just being brave and admitting you need help is the first step. It can and will get better. It may be hard to believe at times, but your life is worth living!

These are little things that are very helpful to me. I sincerely hope that something I've said can be helpful or encouraging to someone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment