Monday, July 2, 2012

Fifty Shades of....Ignorance.


So, apparently, the number one best-selling books right now are the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. I haven’t read them, nor am I going to. I’ve heard enough through the media and word of mouth to know what they’re about.

And quite frankly, I’m disturbed.

Basically what it boils down to is a story dealing with a sadomasochistic CEO who hires a naïve girl. And surprise, surprise, they have a lot of sex throughout the books.

At almost every turn, women are swooning over this Christian Grey (the name infuriates me too) left and right. You know what it makes me want to do? Ram my head into a wall; repeatedly. One. Million. Times.
For a society as feminist as this country is, I’m shocked that it’s so popular. Yet, on the other hand, I’m not shocked. This society also often makes absolutely no sense.

It really disturbs me to see women getting so much pleasure out of the blatant disrespect the books give us. WAKE UP! Quit fantasizing about a guy who would make you do demeaning things!

Not to mention, the writing is supposedly terrible. It makes me sad that those books got published when something of greater substance and quality could have been published. Oh well. I guess we see that people sadly prize the controversial and twisted nowadays. Quality doesn’t seem to matter much anymore.

Ignorance is apparently bliss for the fans. As long as they get their instant gratification, nothing else really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment