Thursday, February 11, 2016

Singles, BE GRATEFUL!


Ah, Valentine’s day. That day of the year when couples drown each other in love.

 And also the day that singles lament their singleness.

I am single. But, I hate it when people get so down in the dumps about being single on the holiday. I remember a few years ago my first boyfriend broke up with me just before Valentine’s day. If anyone had a reason to hate the holiday that year, it would have been me.

I was staying with some friends at the time. The two of them went and bought me a Hawaiian pizza for me to have all to myself. While I was still in deep hurt, I also so felt so blessed and thankful that they did something like that for me.

Even now, I have no disdain for the holiday. I never have. Valentine’s day doesn’t make me lament the love I don’t have. Actually, quite the opposite. If anything, it reminds me of how blessed I am. 

While I don’t have a lover, I have many who love me. I have a wonderful family that is always there for me. I have precious little sisters who make my heart overflow. I have fantastic friends that have blessed my life in so many ways. God is my constant. He is faithful. He loves me and takes care of me.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

“But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.” (Romans 5:8)

“Humble yourselves under God’s mighty hand so that at a proper time, He will life you up. Cast all your anxieties on Him, for He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Everyone wants a special someone. I know I do. I will find him eventually. But I don’t want to spend my life being sad about being single. I don’t want to be angry or depressed when Valentine’s rolls around. On Valentine’s day, I want to see the immense love that is  around me right now.

On Valentine’s Day, celebrate God’s love, and the love of those around you. Do it year ‘round. Whether you are single or not, be thankful for the love you have. Return it tenfold!

“Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." (Romans 12:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment