Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Thoughts on Being a Plus-Sized Woman


I don’t hate my body. I feel that hating one’s body is pointless and that you should make peace with yourself at any size.

I want to be healthy. But I will most likely never be a size four. Or even an eight. Probably not even a ten. I was chubby as a child. And, no; my parents didn’t have me eating unhealthy either. I was a very active child and loved being outside. 

If I were a size 12 or 14 the rest of my life, that’d be perfectly okay with me. And I will get there-some day.

I think the BMI chart is kind of bogus--mainly because it doesn’t take into account bone structure, ethnicity, genetics, and medical history. 

I am not going to spend my life being obsessed with fitness.  I will walk and exercise as I see fit. I don’t care if my stomach is flat or if my thighs are touching. In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter. I have more important things to deal with than to have the so-called ‘perfect body’. (Not to mention, standards of the "perfect body" changes about every ten years).


I'm tired of fat-shaming (and skinny-shaming). I really, sincerely wish we would all judge one another by our hearts rather than appearance. That is how God judges us. (1st Samuel 16:7)



It IS possible to feel beautiful while being plus-sized. It may be hard to get there, but you CAN get there! It took me a long time. I will explain in another article explain how I got there.





Don't put your life on hold because of your size. You are really doing yourself a disservice when you do this. There are so many things I want to do (including travel) and I thought that it was better that I waited to do it until I lost all the weight. 

Recently I realized, 'who says you can’t live your happiest life while big?' Weight loss and health is a journey, as is the rest of life. I have realized that you shouldn’t put your dreams on hold because of your size (unless of course, those things would really be dangerous for you to do at your size). 

Fall in love. Travel. Model. Sing. Act. Whatever you love, do it-as long as you have God at the forefront of everything you do (Colossians 3:17).


Every girl, no matter her size has beauty. Her size has no bearing on whether she is loved and has worth. If you didn't have worth, our Savior wouldn't have suffered and died for you like he did. (John 3:16)



Your HEART is what matters the most.
I am trying to eat better and take better care of myself. However, I also want to focus more on being the best woman of God I can be. I want to be a woman He can be proud of-because of my heart. We are defined by God’s love. Not by a number on a scale or a clothes rack.

Love yourself. Love others. Don't worry so much about a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment